4.0 Encryption ColdFusion 18 Java 11 256-bit Keys Windows

Discussions specific to getting your sunapsis instance up and running for the first time.
lucyzoe

4.0 Encryption ColdFusion 18 Java 11 256-bit Keys Windows

Post by lucyzoe »

Just leaving this here in case anyone else needs it:

If you're configuring encryption on initial install or after Go-Live, this will be helpful if you're on a Windows 64-bit server, ColdFusion 18 running Java 11 and using 3-Part encryption 256-bit keys.

1. You will need the latest JRE file. Because of an agreement between Oracle and Adobe, you can download the JRE at the link here: https://www.adobe.com/support/coldfusion/downloads.html. Scroll all the way to the bottom and grab the win-64 zip file (jdk-11.0.6_windows-x64_bin.zip is what I used.)
2. Unzip the file to your server - I created a 'java' folder and put it there. In my case, c:\java\jdk-11.0.6
3. Open the java\jdk-11.0.6 file and copy the whole file and move it to your ColdFusion2018\jre

There's a section in the 4.0 Tech Guide: Encryption Configuration > Key Generation\Additional Step for 192 and 256-bit Keys.
In the first paragraph...As a pre-requisite, you need to unlock the features in Java so that ColdFusion (and in turn, sunapsis) can make use of them.
Step 1. You still need to do step 1 to know your Java version and your Java Home path (See step 3 above)
Step 2. You don't need to download the Java JCE policy files. You already did that (See step 1 above)
Step 3. You already installed the files (See step 3 above)
Step 4. You WILL need to restart the ColdFusion Service.

Enjoy!
Lucy Zoe

P.S. I enabled after 'Go-Live' and it was relatively painless...time is the key issue.

barnhill

Re: 4.0 Encryption ColdFusion 18 Java 11 256-bit Keys Windows

Post by barnhill »

Thank you Lucy! This is the type of information that is invaluable.
Thank you,
Jodi

tclimis

Post by tclimis »

You can also install the exe version (jdk-11.0.6_windows-x64_bin.exe), and then update your ColdFusion Administrator settings to point at the install directory. That way you don't need to copy stuff around various places.
Attachments
update jvm.png
update jvm.png (43.83 KiB) Viewed 4842 times

lucyzoe

Post by lucyzoe »

tclimis wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:11 pm
You can also install the exe version (jdk-11.0.6_windows-x64_bin.exe), and then update your ColdFusion Administrator settings to point at the install directory. That way you don't need to copy stuff around various places.
Thanks Tim! I'll update my notes.